What is involved in Quality Engineering
Find out what the related areas are that Quality Engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Quality Engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Quality Engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Quality Engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Quality Engineering related domains to cover and 151 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Quality Engineering, Agile software development, Engineering management, Enterprise architecture, INFORMS, IT service management, Information security management, Institute of Industrial Engineers, Knowledge management, Manufacturing engineering, Quality assurance, Quality objectives, RACI matrix, Requirements analysis, Software development process, Software engineering, Software product management, Software quality, Software quality management, Software testing, Systems Engineering:
Quality Engineering Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Quality Engineering issues and probe the present value of growth of Quality Engineering.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Quality Engineering process?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Quality Engineering?
– Why are Quality Engineering skills important?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Steer Agile software development risks and pay attention to the small things.
– The sprint backlog is the list of work the team must address during the next sprint. The list is derived by selecting stories/features from the top of the product backlog until the team feels they have enough work to fill the sprint. Is this done by the team asking, Can we also do this?
– How do you take a methodology, like agile development, that basically evolved in small groups and then scale it up so that it works on projects with hundreds of developers and thousands of users?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Is our organization clear about the relationship between agile software development and DevOps?
– Are there cultural or organizational issues that may affect the system development?
– Do we ask in the sprint retrospective: What went well during the sprint?
– Do we know the difference between lean and agile software development?
– How good are the designers and programmers in the development team?
– How do you scale Agile to large (500-5000 person) teams?
– Regulated Backward Compatibility and Version Numbering?
– Is There a Role for Complex Adaptive Systems Theory?
– So what do your developers do differently in agile?
– How can a conceptual agile framework be developed?
– How large is the system that is being developed?
– How Extreme Does Extreme Programming Have to Be?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– Heritage of traditional methods?
– Are Agile teams collocated?
– When should we not use it?
– Have we Adopted Agile?
Engineering management Critical Criteria:
Map Engineering management engagements and observe effective Engineering management.
– What is the plan to align prime contractors systems engineering management plan (semp) with the Program Management office (pmo) sep?
– How will you know that the Quality Engineering project has been successful?
– What are internal and external Quality Engineering relations?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Enterprise architecture issues and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Enterprise architecture results.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Quality Engineering processes?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Do those selected for the Quality Engineering team have a good general understanding of what Quality Engineering is all about?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Do Quality Engineering rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
INFORMS Critical Criteria:
Guard INFORMS failures and transcribe INFORMS as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Quality Engineering? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Quality Engineering been identified and analyzed?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Chat re IT service management risks and do something to it.
– If we could not clearly quantify where the benefits were, we would then start getting lots of questions: why are you doing it because we could be spending the money elsewhere?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– How do you actually go about identifying, defining and then managing a set of services that make sense?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your it Service Management capabilities?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT service management ?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Can the cloud service provider make available an endto-end continuity plan?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Is there a defined enterprise it tool strategy and architecture model?
– If your itsm team is slated for growth, what are the relevant reasons?
– Are you thinking about implementing itil standardsbased tools?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– What software do I have and why do we have it?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– Performance supported?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Unify Information security management governance and look for lots of ideas.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– How do we measure improved Quality Engineering service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– How can you measure Quality Engineering in a systematic way?
Institute of Industrial Engineers Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Institute of Industrial Engineers failures and grade techniques for implementing Institute of Industrial Engineers controls.
– Which customers cant participate in our Quality Engineering domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Quality Engineering?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Knowledge management quality and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Knowledge management.
– How can you negotiate Quality Engineering successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– How do we manage Quality Engineering Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What is our Quality Engineering Strategy?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Manufacturing engineering Critical Criteria:
Derive from Manufacturing engineering projects and define what do we need to start doing with Manufacturing engineering.
– Think about the functions involved in your Quality Engineering project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Does Quality Engineering appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Quality assurance results and optimize Quality assurance leadership as a key to advancement.
– Does the quality plan prescribe the type(s) of Quality Assurance activities (such as reviews, audits, inspections) to be performed to achieve the objectives of the quality plan?
– What is your Quality Assurance process to ensure that the large volumes of data gathered in the monitoring process are handled efficiently?
– Are software Quality Assurance tests a part of the general hardware acceptance test on the customers machine before it leaves the factory?
– What is the availability of and cost of internal Quality Assurance manpower necessary to monitor each performance indicator?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– How can we integrate Customer Service into our Quality Assurance program?
– Are Quality Assurance records marked or labelled to ensure traceability?
– Were adequate human factors considered in the design of the equipment?
– Do you keep track of unsuccessfully performed skills?
– How do you investigate complaints from the public?
– Is the target achievable by the current process?
– Who is responsible for overseeing this process?
– How often are your current policies evaluated?
– Is the system or component user friendly?
– How often are the protocols reviewed?
– Is specialized equipment necessary?
– Is the scope of Quality Engineering defined?
– Are standardized tests available?
Quality objectives Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Quality objectives adoptions and drive action.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Quality Engineering project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Quality Engineering project lifecycle?
– Can we do Quality Engineering without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Will Quality Engineering deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Have Data Quality objectives been met?
RACI matrix Critical Criteria:
Scan RACI matrix quality and figure out ways to motivate other RACI matrix users.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Quality Engineering project manager?
– What are all of our Quality Engineering domains and what do they do?
Requirements analysis Critical Criteria:
See the value of Requirements analysis engagements and overcome Requirements analysis skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Quality Engineering leader?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Quality Engineering with what users do day-to-day?
– Is a Quality Engineering Team Work effort in place?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Look at Software development process goals and look at the big picture.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Quality Engineering strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Quality Engineering values?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Software engineering goals and figure out ways to motivate other Software engineering users.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are the usability implications of Quality Engineering actions?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Software product management Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Software product management leadership and devise Software product management key steps.
– In the case of a Quality Engineering project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Quality Engineering project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Quality Engineering project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What threat is Quality Engineering addressing?
Software quality Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Software quality adoptions and find the ideas you already have.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Quality Engineering workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Do software Quality Assurance test programs undergo the same production cycle and method (except q/a) as the software they test?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– Is at least one person engaged in software Quality Assurance for every ten engaged in its fabrication?
– The need for high-quality software is glaring. But what constitutes software quality?
Software quality management Critical Criteria:
Consider Software quality management strategies and get answers.
– How will you measure your Quality Engineering effectiveness?
– How to deal with Quality Engineering Changes?
– What is Effective Quality Engineering?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Examine Software testing tactics and look at the big picture.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Quality Engineering study?
– How do we Identify specific Quality Engineering investment and emerging trends?
– What will drive Quality Engineering change?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Grasp Systems Engineering decisions and prioritize challenges of Systems Engineering.
– When observing natural systems, complexity theorists can identify, to some degree, which systems have these features. to apply complexity theory to engineered systems that we have not yet designed, can we predict these features within acceptable accuracy ranges?
– When we try to quantify Systems Engineering in terms of capturing productivity (i.e., size/effort) data to incorporate into a parametric model, what size measure captures the amount of intellectual work performed by the systems engineer?
– To apply complexity theory to engineered systems that we have not yet designed, can we predict these features within acceptable accuracy ranges?
– What approach will permit us to deal with the kind of unpredictable emergent behaviors that dynamic complexity can introduce?
– Is sufficient schedule time allocated to allow for dependencies on commercial off-the-shelf cots product deliveries?
– How to manage the complexity to permit us to answer questions, such as: when have we done enough?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Quality Engineering that make it risky?
– Does management understand principles and concepts of system engineering?
– Has organization developed a plan for continuous improvement?
– What is the problem or opportunity addressed by the system?
– What are the flows between parts of the system?
– What are the interfaces for a given part?
– How well should the system perform?
– Is the schedule too aggressive?
– Why use systems engineering?
– Right implementation?
– What option is best?
– Where are we today?
– What is a system?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Quality Engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Quality Engineering External links:
Method Statement – Quality Engineering and Construction
Agile software development External links:
Best documentation practices in agile software development
Scrum Overview: Agile Software Development
8 Benefits of Agile Software Development | Segue …
Engineering management External links:
Engineering management (Book, 1981) [WorldCat.org]
What is ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT? definition of …
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise Architecture | North Dakota ITD
INFORMS External links:
IOL Home – INFORMS
INFORMS at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
IT service management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Information security management External links:
Information Security Management | California State University
Information Security Management – Home2
Information Security Management Provider – Sedara
Institute of Industrial Engineers External links:
Front Page | Institute of Industrial Engineers
Institute of Industrial Engineers – Iowa State University
Membership | Institute of Industrial Engineers
Knowledge management External links:
Set up knowledge management in Microsoft Dynamics 365
Home | Center for Knowledge Management
tealbook – Supplier Discovery & Knowledge Management
Quality assurance External links:
Quality assurance titles Jobs – Yakaz
Title Quality Assurance Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Quality Assurance Job Titles | Enlighten Jobs
Quality objectives External links:
[PDF]3.0 Data Quality Objectives
Quality Objectives | Quality Goals | Objectives of Quality
RACI matrix External links:
RACI Matrix (Free PPT and PDF Download) – WorkshopBank
RACI Matrix | Example and Template – RealtimeBoard
[XLS]RACI Matrix – Medicaid 1115 Waiver, Texas Region 10 RHP
Requirements analysis External links:
[PDF]2 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ANALYSIS
Activity 3 – Requirements Analysis | SDLC
Business Requirements Analysis – Project Management …
Software development process External links:
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Software Engineering Institute
Software product management External links:
Software Product Management Training by InnoTivum
Software Product Management Meetup (NYC) (New York, NY)
Iteration Z – Software Product Management and …
Software quality External links:
Software Quality Assurance Engineers & Testers at My Next …
iSQI (International Software Quality Institute)
15-1199.01 – Software Quality Assurance Engineers and …
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
Systems Engineering External links:
Industrial & Systems Engineering | College of Engineering
Innoslate | PLM and Systems Engineering Tools
Industrial, Manufacturing and Systems Engineering