What is involved in Penetration Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Penetration Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Penetration Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Penetration Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Penetration Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Penetration Testing related domains to cover and 144 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Penetration Testing, Penetration test, Amazon Standard Identification Number, Arch Linux, BlackArch Linux, Black box, Burp Suite, CBS Interactive, Commercial software, Free software, Gentoo Linux, IT risk, Information technology security audit, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Metasploit Project, National Security Agency, OWASP ZAP, Parrot Security OS, Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, RAND Corporation, Risk assessment, SANS Institute, Software system, Standard penetration test, System Development Corporation, Systems analysis, Tiger team, Tiger teams, United States Department of Defense, White box:
Penetration Testing Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Penetration Testing outcomes and report on setting up Penetration Testing without losing ground.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Penetration Testing? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Can we add value to the current Penetration Testing decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Penetration Testing is underway?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Map Penetration test outcomes and create a map for yourself.
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
– Is Penetration Testing dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How is the value delivered by Penetration Testing being measured?
– How do we maintain Penetration Testings Integrity?
Amazon Standard Identification Number Critical Criteria:
Start Amazon Standard Identification Number governance and budget for Amazon Standard Identification Number challenges.
– Among the Penetration Testing product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Does Penetration Testing analysis show the relationships among important Penetration Testing factors?
– What are current Penetration Testing Paradigms?
Arch Linux Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Arch Linux governance and observe effective Arch Linux.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Penetration Testing product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are the key elements of your Penetration Testing performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Does the Penetration Testing task fit the clients priorities?
BlackArch Linux Critical Criteria:
Adapt BlackArch Linux engagements and intervene in BlackArch Linux processes and leadership.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Penetration Testing?
– Is there a Penetration Testing Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Penetration Testing processes?
Black box Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Black box decisions and innovate what needs to be done with Black box.
– What are the barriers to increased Penetration Testing production?
– How do we Improve Penetration Testing service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are the business goals Penetration Testing is aiming to achieve?
Burp Suite Critical Criteria:
Design Burp Suite tactics and plan concise Burp Suite education.
– When a Penetration Testing manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What about Penetration Testing Analysis of results?
– What is Effective Penetration Testing?
CBS Interactive Critical Criteria:
Jump start CBS Interactive tactics and prioritize challenges of CBS Interactive.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Penetration Testing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Penetration Testing process available?
– Do Penetration Testing rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Penetration Testing Management?
Commercial software Critical Criteria:
Test Commercial software leadership and tour deciding if Commercial software progress is made.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Penetration Testing services/products?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Penetration Testing goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Which Penetration Testing goals are the most important?
Free software Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Free software management and reduce Free software costs.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Penetration Testing does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we Identify specific Penetration Testing investment and emerging trends?
Gentoo Linux Critical Criteria:
Align Gentoo Linux risks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Gentoo Linux projects.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Penetration Testing models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Is there any existing Penetration Testing governance structure?
– What are the usability implications of Penetration Testing actions?
IT risk Critical Criteria:
Be clear about IT risk engagements and do something to it.
– Do you have a good understanding of emerging technologies and business trends that are vital for the management of IT risks in a fast-changing environment?
– Do you standardize ITRM processes and clearly defined roles and responsibilities to improve efficiency, quality and reporting?
– Old product plus new technology leads to new regulatory concerns which could be added burden, how to do you deal with that?
– Has a risk situation which has been ongoing over time, with several risk events, escalated to a situation of higher risk?
– Is there a need to use a formal planning processes including planning meetings in order to assess and manage the risk?
– Does your company have a formal information and technology risk framework and assessment process in place?
– Risk Documentation: What reporting formats and processes will be used for risk management activities?
– Market risk -Will the new service or product be useful to the organization or marketable to others?
– To what extent is your companys approach to ITRM aligned with the ERM strategies and frameworks?
– Risk Probability and Impact: How will the probabilities and impacts of risk items be assessed?
– Does your company have a formal IT risk framework and assessment process in place?
– How does your company report on its information and technology risk assessment?
– Does your IT risk program have GRC tools or other tools and technology?
– What is the sensitivity (or classification) level of the information?
– How important is the system to the user organizations mission?
– Who performs your companys IT risk assessments?
– What triggers a risk assessment?
– Risk mitigation: how far?
Information technology security audit Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Information technology security audit visions and do something to it.
– What are internal and external Penetration Testing relations?
– What threat is Penetration Testing addressing?
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Trace Massachusetts Institute of Technology adoptions and look at it backwards.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Penetration Testing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What are our Penetration Testing Processes?
Metasploit Project Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Metasploit Project projects and handle a jump-start course to Metasploit Project.
– How do we go about Comparing Penetration Testing approaches/solutions?
– Why should we adopt a Penetration Testing framework?
National Security Agency Critical Criteria:
Adapt National Security Agency outcomes and mentor National Security Agency customer orientation.
– What are our needs in relation to Penetration Testing skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Penetration Testing requirements in detail?
OWASP ZAP Critical Criteria:
Prioritize OWASP ZAP failures and work towards be a leading OWASP ZAP expert.
– To what extent does management recognize Penetration Testing as a tool to increase the results?
– What are the long-term Penetration Testing goals?
Parrot Security OS Critical Criteria:
Adapt Parrot Security OS decisions and find out.
– Does Penetration Testing create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Penetration Testing?
– Is Supporting Penetration Testing documentation required?
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard decisions and adjust implementation of Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
– Will Penetration Testing have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is the Penetration Testing organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
RAND Corporation Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on RAND Corporation risks and define what our big hairy audacious RAND Corporation goal is.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Penetration Testing move?
– Have all basic functions of Penetration Testing been defined?
– Are there Penetration Testing Models?
Risk assessment Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Risk assessment governance and intervene in Risk assessment processes and leadership.
– Have the it security cost for the any investment/project been integrated in to the overall cost including (c&a/re-accreditation, system security plan, risk assessment, privacy impact assessment, configuration/patch management, security control testing and evaluation, and contingency planning/testing)?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Penetration Testing workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are interdependent service providers (for example, fuel suppliers, telecommunications providers, meter data processors) included in risk assessments?
– Does the risk assessment approach helps to develop the criteria for accepting risks and identify the acceptable level risk?
– Are standards for risk assessment methodology established, so risk information can be compared across entities?
– What core IT system are you using? Does it have an ERM or risk assessment module; and if so, have you used it?
– With Risk Assessments do we measure if Is there an impact to technical performance and to what level?
– How frequently, if at all, do we conduct a business impact analysis (bia) and risk assessment (ra)?
– Is the priority of the preventive action determined based on the results of the risk assessment?
– Who performs your companys information and technology risk assessments?
– How often are information and technology risk assessments performed?
– Are regular risk assessments executed across all entities?
– What drives the timing of your risk assessments?
– Are regular risk assessments executed across all entities?
– Do you use any homegrown IT system for risk assessments?
SANS Institute Critical Criteria:
Explore SANS Institute goals and sort SANS Institute activities.
– Is maximizing Penetration Testing protection the same as minimizing Penetration Testing loss?
– What is the source of the strategies for Penetration Testing strengthening and reform?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Penetration Testing effort?
Software system Critical Criteria:
Focus on Software system adoptions and drive action.
– Imagine a scenario where you engage a software group to build a critical software system. Do you think you could provide every last detail the developers need to know right off the bat?
– In a project to restructure Penetration Testing outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Penetration Testing project?
– Does the software system satisfy the expectations of the user?
– What does it mean to develop a quality software system?
– Is the software system functionally adequate?
– How do we keep improving Penetration Testing?
– Is the software system productive?
– Is the software system effective?
– Is the software system efficient?
– Is the software system reliable?
– Is the software system usable?
– Is the software system safe?
Standard penetration test Critical Criteria:
Coach on Standard penetration test engagements and research ways can we become the Standard penetration test company that would put us out of business.
– How do we measure improved Penetration Testing service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does Penetration Testing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
System Development Corporation Critical Criteria:
Rank System Development Corporation visions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of System Development Corporation.
– Do those selected for the Penetration Testing team have a good general understanding of what Penetration Testing is all about?
– What is our Penetration Testing Strategy?
– How to Secure Penetration Testing?
Systems analysis Critical Criteria:
Examine Systems analysis issues and test out new things.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– It is often difficult to explain what is achieved by Systems Analysis and design especially when talking to a user that wants a system tomorrow! why should it take so long to design a system?
– For the system you identified select a process. can you identify the input elements, transformation elements and output elements that make the process happen?
– How should one include criteria of equity and efficiency in performance assessment?
– What process must the company go through to obtain and implement a new system?
– Operational feasibility. will the solution fulfill the users requirements?
– What important aspects need to be considered during a feasibility study?
– What are the organizations relationships with other organizations?
– How can case tools be used to support requirements determination?
– What records are kept and how do they fit in with the functions?
– Economic feasibility. is the solution cost-effective?
– Who will be involved in the decision making process?
– When are users trained to use the new system?
– Systems Analysis and design: what is it?
– Systems Analysis and design: who is it?
– Can something be combined?
– How will the system work?
– Who does analysis?
– Why choose ssadm?
Tiger team Critical Criteria:
Match Tiger team management and explore and align the progress in Tiger team.
– Think about the functions involved in your Penetration Testing project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Penetration Testing project?
Tiger teams Critical Criteria:
Guard Tiger teams engagements and find out what it really means.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Penetration Testing delivery for example is new software needed?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Huddle over United States Department of Defense visions and test out new things.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Penetration Testing objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How to deal with Penetration Testing Changes?
White box Critical Criteria:
Consider White box governance and budget for White box challenges.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Penetration Testing leaders?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Penetration Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Penetration Testing External links:
CyberTest – Cyber Security Penetration Testing
Learn Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Online
Rhino Security Labs – Deep-Dive Penetration Testing …
Penetration test External links:
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
penetration test – Answers – Salesforce Trailblazer …
Standard Penetration Test – Geotechdata.info
Arch Linux External links:
Arch Linux – Official Site
[Review] Antergos Is More Than Just A Noob’s Arch Linux
Arch Linux ARM – Official Site
BlackArch Linux External links:
BlackArch Linux (@blackarchlinux) | Twitter
How to install Blackarch Linux – Quora
Black box External links:
Xarelto – Side Effects, FDA Black Box Warning & Interactions
The Black Box
Black Box (TV Series 2014) – IMDb
Burp Suite External links:
Learn Burp Suite, the Nr. 1 Web Hacking Tool | Udemy
Burp Suite Support Center
[PDF]NEST Kali Linux Tutorial: Burp Suite
CBS Interactive External links:
CBS Interactive | CBS Corporation
CBS Interactive Mobile App End User License Agreement
CBS Interactive – Official Site
Commercial software External links:
TCR | Commercial Software Submissions
efile with Commercial Software | Internal Revenue Service
Free software External links:
Free Software and Shareware – Tucows Downloads
NCH Software – Free Software Downloads and Installs
Gentoo Linux External links:
Gentoo Linux Enhancement Proposals – Gentoo Linux
Gentoo Linux – Official Site
IT risk External links:
Home | IT Risk Management
Magic Quadrant for IT Risk Management Solutions – Gartner
Perform IT Risk Assessment to Improve Your Security Posture
Massachusetts Institute of Technology External links:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Niche
Metasploit Project External links:
Popular Metasploit Project & Nessus videos – YouTube
Metasploit Project (@metasploit) | Twitter
Metasploit Project Archives · GitHub
National Security Agency External links:
National Security Agency for Intelligence Careers
National Security Agency – The New York Times
Parrot Security OS External links:
Parrot Security OS 3.7 Released With Linux 4.11, Now …
Tutorial: Installazione Parrot security OS Download …
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard External links:
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard …
RAND Corporation External links:
RAND Corporation – GuideStar Profile
RAND Corporation – Home | Facebook
Risk assessment External links:
[DOC]SUICIDE RISK ASSESSMENT GUIDE
Healthy Life HRA | Health Risk Assessment
[PDF]Deliberate Risk Assessment Worksheet – United …
SANS Institute External links:
Sign In | SANS Institute | Academic Software Discounts
SANS Institute: About
Checklists & Step-by-Step Guides | SCORE | SANS Institute
Software system External links:
Grant Management Software System | eCivis
Online Car Rental Software System To Manage Your …
Standard penetration test External links:
SPT (Standard Penetration Test) – Geotechnical Drilling
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
SPT: Standard Penetration Test Energy Calibration
System Development Corporation External links:
System Development Corporation | IT History Society
System Development Corporation
System Development Corporation
Systems analysis External links:
P E Systems | Systems Analysis | Technology Services
Systems Analysis and Integration | Transportation …
Office of Energy Policy and Systems Analysis | …
Tiger team External links:
Garrison Stuttgart’s Windows 10 Tiger Team roars into …
A tiger team is a group of experts assigned to investigate and/or solve technical or systemic problems. A 1964 paper defined the term as “a team of undomesticated and uninhibited technical specialists, selected for their experience, energy, and imagination, and assigned to track down relentlessly every possible source of failure in a spacecraft subsystem.”
Tiger teams External links:
tiger teams – Wiktionary
[PDF]Tiger Teams Provide Coalitions Technical and Market …
Rawlings Tigers Baseball | Tiger Teams
United States Department of Defense External links:
United States Department of Defense Standards of …
[PDF]United States Department of Defense (DoD) DoD …
United States Department of Defense
White box External links:
The Little White Box That Can Hack Your Network | WIRED
BackerKit Pledge Manager for The White Box: A Game …
Homepage | White Box