What is involved in Security Assessment and Testing
Find out what the related areas are that Security Assessment and Testing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Security Assessment and Testing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Security Assessment and Testing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Security Assessment and Testing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Security Assessment and Testing related domains to cover and 140 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Security Assessment and Testing, Security testing, Access control, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial of service, False positives and false negatives, Information security, Information system, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, National Information Assurance Glossary, Network security, Penetration test, Screen scrape, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Trojan horse, Vulnerability assessment:
Security Assessment and Testing Critical Criteria:
Chat re Security Assessment and Testing tasks and transcribe Security Assessment and Testing as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Can we add value to the current Security Assessment and Testing decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Security Assessment and Testing delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are all of our Security Assessment and Testing domains and what do they do?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
X-ray Security testing tactics and forecast involvement of future Security testing projects in development.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Security Assessment and Testing is underway?
– Is Supporting Security Assessment and Testing documentation required?
– Who needs to know about Security Assessment and Testing ?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Value Access control leadership and do something to it.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Security Assessment and Testing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Security Assessment and Testing process available?
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Who will provide the final approval of Security Assessment and Testing deliverables?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– How do we maintain Security Assessment and Testings Integrity?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– Who determines access controls?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Shape Antivirus software projects and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Antivirus software.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Security Assessment and Testing with what users do day-to-day?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Security Assessment and Testing processes of our organization?
– Which Security Assessment and Testing goals are the most important?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Application security goals and secure Application security creativity.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Security Assessment and Testing models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the barriers to increased Security Assessment and Testing production?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Examine Computer access control tactics and reduce Computer access control costs.
– What are specific Security Assessment and Testing Rules to follow?
– How would one define Security Assessment and Testing leadership?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Study Computer crime strategies and proactively manage Computer crime risks.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing analysis show the relationships among important Security Assessment and Testing factors?
– How do we go about Comparing Security Assessment and Testing approaches/solutions?
– How do we keep improving Security Assessment and Testing?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Grade Computer security failures and change contexts.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Security Assessment and Testing strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Security Assessment and Testing?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Computer virus planning and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Computer virus projects.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Security Assessment and Testing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What is the purpose of Security Assessment and Testing in relation to the mission?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Confer over Computer worm issues and point out Computer worm tensions in leadership.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Security Assessment and Testing does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Security Assessment and Testing been identified and analyzed?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Data-centric security goals and adopt an insight outlook.
– Do we monitor the Security Assessment and Testing decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Denial of service quality and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Denial of service services.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Security Assessment and Testing?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
False positives and false negatives Critical Criteria:
Study False positives and false negatives projects and handle a jump-start course to False positives and false negatives.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Security Assessment and Testing goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How important is Security Assessment and Testing to the user organizations mission?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Own Information security leadership and acquire concise Information security education.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Does mgmt communicate to the organization on the importance of meeting the information security objectives, conforming to the information security policy and the need for continual improvement?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Security Assessment and Testing. How do we gain traction?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Are we requesting exemption from or modification to established information security policies or standards?
– What information security and privacy standards or regulations apply to the cloud customers domain?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (ciso or equivalent title)?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– Does mgmt establish roles and responsibilities for information security?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– : Return of Information Security Investment, Are you spending enough?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Apply Information system results and create Information system explanations for all managers.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– Will Security Assessment and Testing deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– How is the value delivered by Security Assessment and Testing being measured?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– How are our information systems developed ?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Guide Internet security governance and revise understanding of Internet security architectures.
– Which customers cant participate in our Security Assessment and Testing domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Categorize Intrusion detection system outcomes and find the essential reading for Intrusion detection system researchers.
– Think about the people you identified for your Security Assessment and Testing project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Security Assessment and Testing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– Why is Security Assessment and Testing important for you now?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Chart Intrusion prevention system leadership and innovate what needs to be done with Intrusion prevention system.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Security Assessment and Testing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
– What about Security Assessment and Testing Analysis of results?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Shape Logic bomb projects and ask questions.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Security Assessment and Testing in a volatile global economy?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Security Assessment and Testing processes?
– What vendors make products that address the Security Assessment and Testing needs?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Discuss Mobile secure gateway results and finalize the present value of growth of Mobile secure gateway.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Security Assessment and Testing objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Does Security Assessment and Testing create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What business benefits will Security Assessment and Testing goals deliver if achieved?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Focus on Mobile security strategies and innovate what needs to be done with Mobile security.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Security Assessment and Testing requirements in detail?
– How do we Lead with Security Assessment and Testing in Mind?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Model after Multi-factor authentication quality and know what your objective is.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– How can you negotiate Security Assessment and Testing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the business goals Security Assessment and Testing is aiming to achieve?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
National Information Assurance Glossary Critical Criteria:
Accommodate National Information Assurance Glossary strategies and arbitrate National Information Assurance Glossary techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Security Assessment and Testing strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Security Assessment and Testing process?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Security Assessment and Testing move?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Analyze Network security failures and finalize the present value of growth of Network security.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– For your Security Assessment and Testing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– How can skill-level changes improve Security Assessment and Testing?
Penetration test Critical Criteria:
Dissect Penetration test goals and intervene in Penetration test processes and leadership.
– Is a vulnerability scan or penetration test performed on all internet-facing applications and systems before they go into production?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Meet over Screen scrape quality and devise Screen scrape key steps.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Security Assessment and Testing project manager?
– What are the usability implications of Security Assessment and Testing actions?
– Is the scope of Security Assessment and Testing defined?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Define Secure coding failures and oversee Secure coding requirements.
– How do we go about Securing Security Assessment and Testing?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Administer Security-focused operating system results and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Security-focused operating system.
– How likely is the current Security Assessment and Testing plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Security Assessment and Testing effort?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Security by design planning and acquire concise Security by design education.
– What are our Security Assessment and Testing Processes?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Trojan horse tasks and define what do we need to start doing with Trojan horse.
– Does Security Assessment and Testing include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– When a Security Assessment and Testing manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Vulnerability assessment Critical Criteria:
Generalize Vulnerability assessment decisions and work towards be a leading Vulnerability assessment expert.
– Does your organization perform vulnerability assessment activities as part of the acquisition cycle for products in each of the following areas: Cybersecurity, SCADA, smart grid, internet connectivity, and website hosting?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Security Assessment and Testing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once the system is put into production (e.g., ongoing risk management after implementation)?
– In what ways are Security Assessment and Testing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Security Assessment and Testing project?
– Do you have an internal or external company performing your vulnerability assessment?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Security Assessment and Testing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Security testing External links:
Web Application Security Testing with AppSpider | Rapid7
[PDF]Technical guide to information security testing and …
TxDPS – Private Security Testing/Training
Access control External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
What is access control? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Antivirus software External links:
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Best Antivirus 2018 – Top Antivirus Software
Application security External links:
Program Rules – Application Security – Google
Application Security – CA Technologies
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
Computer access control External links:
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
Survei | Access Control | Computer Access Control
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Computer crime External links:
What is Computer Crime?
Computer Crime Info – Official Site
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
Computer security External links:
Computer Security (Cybersecurity) – The New York Times
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Computer Security Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer virus External links:
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Computer worm External links:
Stuxnet Computer Worm – Home | Facebook
Denial of service External links:
Denial of Service Definition – Computer
False positives and false negatives External links:
Medical False Positives and False Negatives – …
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
ALTA – Information Security
[PDF]Department of the Navy Information Security Program
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
Buildings Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Internet security External links:
AT&T – Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Norton Internet Security & Antivirus Tools | XFINITY
Intrusion detection system External links:
What is Intrusion Detection System? Webopedia Definition
Intrusion Detection System | Security Data Management
Intrusion prevention system External links:
What is an Intrusion Prevention System? – Palo Alto Networks
Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS – …
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Logic bomb External links:
Logic Bomb | Definition of Logic Bomb by Merriam-Webster
What Is a Logic Bomb? Explanation & Prevention
Logic Bomb – Home | Facebook
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Neeco Mobile Secure Gateway | Global Alliance Neeco
Mobile Secure Gateway Performance – Cobham Wireless
SeaCat Mobile Secure Gateway – TeskaLabs · Security
Mobile security External links:
Malwarebytes | Mobile Security – Malwarebytes for Android
Mobile Protection, Enterprise Mobile Security – Skycure
Lookout Mobile Security
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
National Information Assurance Glossary External links:
National Information Assurance Glossary – WOW.com
Network security External links:
What is Network Security? Webopedia Definition
Cyber and Network Security Bachelor’s Degree | Online & …
Firewall Management Software | Network Security …
Penetration test External links:
[PDF]Standard Penetration Test Driller’s / Operator’s …
Standard Test Method for Standard Penetration Test …
BREAK BARREL VS PCP PENETRATION TEST – YouTube
Screen scrape External links:
[PDF]Screen scrape pdf – WordPress.com
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding Guideline – developer.force.com
Security-focused operating system External links:
Security-focused operating system – WOW.com
Security by design External links:
Security By Design | Wire Works Business Systems
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Security by Design – Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Trojan horse External links:
Trojan Horse clip from “Troy” HD – YouTube
Vulnerability assessment External links:
Vulnerability Assessment page – dot.ca.gov